26 Jul 2018, 13.47
The Houses of the Oireachtas has published its new Language Scheme detailing the services to be provided in Irish, English and bilingually.
The Houses of the Oireachtas Service Language Scheme 2018 makes a series of new commitments and incorporates policies in force in Leinster House since 2012 as part of the State’s efforts to promote the use of Irish under the Official Languages Act 2003.
The Language Scheme 2018 officially takes effect Aug. 1 following eight months of internal and public consultation to identify core needs and goals. The final scheme received formal approval this month from the Department for Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht and has been lodged with the Language Commissioner.
Key commitments include:
- The Houses of the Oireachtas Service will work to ensure availability of tours of Leinster House in both official languages.
- Lesson plans for schools developed by the Education Officer will be available in both official languages.
- All static material on the Oireachtas website will be bilingual and any updates to that material over time will be bilingual.
- The Irish language will play a central role in the Oireachtas’ 2019 programme of events commemorating the 100th anniversary of the first sitting of Dáil Éireann.
- Access to simultaneous translation technology in all four Committee rooms.
The new scheme will be observed in parallel with the Houses of the Oireachtas Language Strategy, Straitéis na Gaeilge, published in March 2018 with the aim of cultivating a positive, welcoming atmosphere for the use of Irish in the Houses.
The Language Scheme 2018 can be read in full here.
Learn more about the Oireachtas’ wider approach to encouraging use of Irish here.
Houses of the Oireachtas
+353 1 618 4203
+353 86 701 3295