30 Sep 2019, 10.36
A delegation from the Committee on the Irish language, Gaeltacht and the Islands will visit the Waterford Gaeltacht and Waterford Institute of Technology today, Monday, 30 September.
The delegation will continue the Committee’s engagement with Gaeltacht regions, exploring not only the growth and development of the Irish language but also economic and social development of Gaeltacht regions.
At the first meeting later today, to be held in Coláiste na Rinne, Rinn Ó gCuanach, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford the following issues will be discussed with representatives from local groups and organisations:
- 9.30-11.00 The development of the economy and society in the Gaeltacht.
- 11.30-12.30 The Irish language, the Gaeltacht, Culture and Education.
The second meeting will focus on education and will be held on the campus of Waterford Institute of Technology (WIT), Cork Road, Co Waterford. The following topics will be discussed: 15:00-15:30 Education and the Irish language in Waterford
- 15.30-16:00 Strategic and Economic links between WIT and the Waterford Gaeltacht;
- 16:00-16:30 The Irish language as an academic subject in WIT;
- 17:00-17:30 The Irish language on campus in WIT;
- 17.30-18.00 Discussions with representatives from Irish medium schools in the Waterford region
If you would like to attend any of the events, or would like to discuss the visit with the Chair, Catherine Connolly, TD, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact details.
Independents 4 Change
Solidarity - People Before Profit