asked the Minister for Tourism, Fisheries and Forestry the number of salmon drift-net licences issued for the 1985 season; the estimated number of salmon caught; the number of prosecutions and convictions which were brought for illegal salmon fishing; and the total number of nets seized.
Written Answers. - Salmon Fishing.
Following is the information requested in respect of 1985:
1. 827 salmon drift net fishing licences were issued.
2. The estimated number of salmon caught was 474,397.
3. The number of prosecutions for illegal salmon fishing was 617.
4. The number of convictions for illegal salmon fishing was 390.
5. Records of net seizures are kept by length rather than number. The total length of nets seized was 108,092.00 metres.
asked the Minister for Tourism, Fisheries and Forestry if he proposes to make any changes in the laws relating to salmon fishing during the current year.
The laws relating to salmon fishing are being continually reviewed and are amended as necessary in order to conserve salmon stocks. I am considering some minor amendments at present with a view to making enforcement of the law more effective.