Written Answers. - House Transfer Procedures.

Dermot Ahern


325 Mr. D. Ahern asked the Minister for the Environment the plans, if any, he has to instruct local authorities to provide an exemption from fees/charges in connection with an application for consent to transfer a local authority house from the name of one spouse into the names of both spouses under the Family Home Protection Act, 1976, in view of the fact that neither stamp duty nor land registry fees are payable in this instance; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [16251/96]

In the case of houses acquired under tenant purchase schemes, an application for consent to a transfer into joint names involves legal and administrative procedures, including the sealing of the deed of transfer by the local authority. It is a matter for each authority to decide what, if any, fee should be charged for such services.