Written Answers. - Community Welfare Service.

Dan Neville


102 Mr. Neville asked the Minister for Health and Children the plans, if any, he has to change the role of the community welfare service; if he will transfer the community welfare officers to the Department of Social, Community and Family Affairs; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [10312/00]

Community welfare officers are involved in administering the supplementary welfare allowance, SWA, scheme on behalf of the Department of Social, Community and Family Affairs. A review group was established recently by the Minister for Social, Community and Family Affairs to review the supplementary welfare allowance scheme. In addition, a recent report by an interdepartmental committee, administration of rent and mortgage interest assistance, recommended that the rent assistance element of the SWA scheme should transfer to the local authorities. The work, role and employing agency for community welfare officers will be considered in the context of these reviews.