Written Answers. - Coastal Zone Management.

John Dennehy


176 Mr. Dennehy asked the Minister for the Marine and Natural Resources if he will consider bringing forward proposals to halt the damage being caused to beaches by the mining and extraction of sand; if he will give consideration to the restriction and possible banning of beach buggies and quad motorbikes from beaches; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [27936/01]

The Foreshore Acts, 1933 to 1998, contain provisions to control the removal or disturbance of beach material. For example, in order to lawfully remove or disturb such material on State-owned foreshore, a person would require to be licensed under the Foreshore Acts which are administered by my Department.

If the Deputy or anybody else is concerned about the removal or disturbance of beach material in any particular area he or they should immediately alert my Department or the relevant local authority, giving as much detailed information as is available, so that the matter may be promptly investigated and necessary action taken. The relevant local authority would ordinarily be the first to be contacted because of the likelihood of a breach of the planning Acts also being involved.

Any problems arising from the use of vehicles on beaches can be addressed by the relevant local authority which can control access of vehicles to beaches.