Written Answers. - Transport Legislation.

Conor Lenihan


191 Mr. C. Lenihan asked the Minister for Public Enterprise her plans to introduce legislation to include the transporting for gain of clay, rubble and other materials in construction and other industries amongst the categories of activity which require the holding of a haulage licence by vehicle operators; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [27788/01]

Under present legislation, operators engaged in the carriage of rubble and clay in the construction industry and waste in other industries are not considered to come within the remit of the road haulage licensing regime. However, if such operators were to engage in the transport of goods, for hire and reward, other than rubble, clay and certain wastes they would be required to be licensed. My Department is looking at issues relating to the haulage of rubble and waste, including consideration of amending legislation and ways in which enforcement can be strengthened in this area.