Written Answers. - Accommodation for Asylum Seekers.

Charles Flanagan


436 Mr. Flanagan asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform if a practice exists where individual and special certificates are required from insurance brokers in cases where houses are being let to asylum seekers and refugees; and, if so, the reason for such practice. [27533/01]

The reception and integration agency is responsible,inter alia, for meeting the accommodation needs of asylum seekers under the system of direct provision which was introduced in April 2000. Under this system the agency provides full board accommodation to asylum seekers in a number of settings including hostels, guesthouses and former hotels while their claims for refugee status are being determined. The agency is not involved in the letting of houses to asylum seekers or refugees. Under the terms of the memoranda of agreement between the agency and proprietors of such accommodation, proprietors are required to extend their public liability all-risks cover to the entire centre. In addition, they are required to provide a copy of the agreement to their insurers and to furnish evidence that such cover has been procured.

John McGuinness


437 Mr. McGuinness asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform if, further to Question No. 443 of 16 October 2001, he will arrange accommodation for a person (details supplied) in County Kilkenny; and if the facts of the case will be established with the local gardaí and hostel management. [27534/01]

As I indicated in my reply to Question No. 443 of 16 October 2001, in accordance with long-standing policy I do not propose to comment in detail on an individual case. I am advised by the reception and integration agency of my Department that, in deciding to relocate the asylum seeker in question, all aspects of the case were considered including the safety and well-being of all residents and staff at the accommodation centre. The agency has further advised me that, notwithstanding his behaviour, the two offers of accommodation made to him still stand and that he should contact the agency if he wishes to avail of either offer.