Joint Committee on Building Land: Message from Dáil.
Dáil Éireann has passed the following Resolution in which the concurrence of Seanad Éireann is desired:—
1. That it is expedient that a Joint Committee of both Houses of the Oireachtas (which shall be called the Joint Committee on Building Land) consisting of 13 members of Dáil Éireann and 7 members of Seanad Éireann be appointed—
(a) to consider and make recommendations regarding possible legislative and other measures to deal, in the interests of the common good, with the supply and cost of building land (including land within and adjacent to urban areas), having regard, in particular, to:
(i) the Constitution and judgments of the Superior Courts in regard to the relevant articles thereof;
(ii) the Report of the Committee on the Price of Building Land (Prl. 3632);
(iii) tax legislation in relation to profits or gains from dealings in, disposals of, or development of, land;
(iv) the operation of the Local Government (Planning and Development) Acts, 1963 and 1976);
(v) the Local Government (Building Land) Bill, 1982; and
(b) To report on the merits and demerits of any measures considered with particular reference to—
(i) their constitutionality;
(ii) legal and administrative practicality;
(iii) financial and economic implications;
(iv) likely effects on the cost of housing and on other forms of development.
2. That the Joint Committee shall have power to send for persons, papers and records.
3. That the Joint Committee, previous to the commencement of business, shall elect one of its members to be Chairman, who shall have only one vote.
4. That all questions in the Joint Committee shall be determined by a majority of votes of the members present and voting and in the event of there being an equality of votes the question shall be decided in the negative.
5. That every report which the Joint Committee proposes to make shall on adoption by the Joint Committee be laid before both Houses of the Oireachtas forthwith whereupon the Joint Committee shall be empowered to print and publish such report together with such related documents as it thinks fit.
6. That 7 members of the Joint Committee shall form a quorum of whom at least 3 shall be members of Dáil Éireann and at least 2 shall be members of Seanad Éireann.
7. That the Joint Committee report before 30 September, 1983.