Tuesday, 11 March 2014

Ceisteanna (157)

Dara Murphy


157. Deputy Dara Murphy asked the Minister for Education and Skills if grants are available for Irish citizens living abroad who wish to study abroad; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [11979/14]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Education)

I can confirm to the Deputy that students who are attending an approved undergraduate course in an EU Member State, can apply for a maintenance grant in respect of an approved course which is being pursued in an approved institution. Under the residency requirement of the Student Grant Scheme, a student must have been resident in Ireland for at least 3 of the 5 years immediately prior to an approved course commencing in an approved institution in order to qualify for a grant. However, a student may qualify for a grant, having met the residency requirement during the course of their studies.