I wish to inform the Deputy that there are currently Drug Free Unit's operational in 7 closed prisons: Mountjoy (Male), Dochas Centre, Cloverhill, Limerick, Cork, and Castlerea Prison and Wheatfield Place of Detention. There is an aggregate total of 560 spaces in these unit's, which currently house 486 prisoners with 74 spaces available. The majority of Units operate at or close to their capacity and prisoners are only accommodated in such Units when they meet the strict criteria which applies including evidence of drug free status.
The breakdown of these aggregate figures is set out as follows:
- Mountjoy Male Prison; 54 spaces, with 48 prisoners currently in the Unit and 6 spaces.
- Dochas Centre; 55 spaces, with 40 prisoners currently in the Unit, and 15 spaces available.
- Wheatfield Place of Detention; 180 spaces, with 163 prisoners currently in the Unit, and 17 spaces available.
- Cloverhill Prison; 52 spaces, with 33 prisoners currently in the Unit, and 19 spaces.
- Limerick Prison; 45 spaces, with 45 prisoners currently in the Unit and no spaces.
- Cork Prison; 34 spaces, with 30 prisoners currently in the Unit, and 4 spaces.
- Castlerea Prison; 140 spaces, with 127 prisoners currently in the Unit, and 13 spaces.