Tuesday, 15 May 2018

Ceisteanna (563)

Mick Barry


563. Deputy Mick Barry asked the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection further to Parliamentary Question No. 210 of 8 May 2018, if a person (details supplied) can seek statutory redundancy from the insolvency fund. [21373/18]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Employment)

The purpose of the Redundancy Payments Scheme is to compensate employees for the loss of their job. In the first instance, it is the employer’s responsibility to pay statutory redundancy to the employee should their job become redundant.

If the employer can prove to the satisfaction of my Department that they are unable to make the payment, employees have recourse to the Scheme to gain their statutory entitlement.

Under the terms of the Scheme, the redundancy claim form must be signed by both the employer and the employee. If the employer refuses to engage with an employee and sign their redundancy form, the employee must apply to the Workplace Relations Commission to have them adjudicate on their entitlement under the Redundancy Payments Act 1967, as amended. If an employee receives an award under this Act, they can submit a copy of the award together with a redundancy claim form (RP50) to my Department.

I trust this clarifies the matter for the Deputy.