Section 30 (1) of the Education and Training Boards Act 2013 provides for the composition of each Board, as follows: 12 members elected by the relevant local authority or local authorities; 2 education and training board staff members elected by staff members; 2 members appointed by the Board from nominees of the National Parents' Council; 5 members appointed by the Board from bodies specified by the Minister which have a special interest in, or knowledge of, education.
In accordance with Section 30(11)(a) of the Act, the bodies to be specified must include at least one body from each of the following categories: (i) bodies representative of business, industry and employers; (ii) bodies representative of learners; (iii) bodies representative of persons engaged in the management of, or leadership in, recognised schools. A Board is required to appoint at least one member from each of these categories and, of the 5 persons appointed from these bodies, at least two must be women and least two must be men. All must reside within the functional area of the Board. The 16 other members of the Board will make the appointments in accordance with these requirements.
The bodies specified by the Minister of Education and Skills In accordance with Section 30(11)(a) of the ETB Act 2013 are as follows:
1 Bodies representative of business, industry and employers
- Chambers Ireland
- Irish Small and Medium Enterprises Association (ISME)
- Irish Business and Employers’ Confederation (IBEC)
2 Bodies representative of Learners
- AONTAS (National Adult Learning Organisation)
-National Adult Literacy Agency (NALA)
3 Bodies representative of persons engaged in the management of, or leadership in, recognised schools
- Joint Managerial Body;
- Association of Community and Comprehensive Schools;
- National Association of Principals and Deputy Principals;
4 Bodies which are not in the three designated categories.
- Youth Work Ireland
- Scouting Ireland
- Irish Second Level Students Union
- Irish Congress of trade unions (ICTU)
- Foras na Gaeilge (to cooperate with Udaras na Gaeltachta in Gaeltacht areas)
- National Youth Council of Ireland
- Disability Federation of Ireland