Wednesday, 20 June 2018

Ceisteanna (202)

Charlie McConalogue


202. Deputy Charlie McConalogue asked the Minister for Children and Youth Affairs if a community organisation can provide after school childcare to preschool children as part of its provision of after school childcare to primary school children under the CCSP; if so, if it needs to be registered as a preschool with Tusla; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [26948/18]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Children)

Tusla, through the Early Years Inspectorate (EYI), is the independent statutory Regulator of early year’s services in Ireland and has a responsibility for inspecting pre-schools, playgroups, nurseries, crèches, day-care and similar services which cater for children aged up to six years. The Tusla EYI role is to promote the quality, safety and appropriate care of children by robust inspection of the sector. In accordance with the Child Care Act 1991 (Early Years Services) (Amendment) Regulations 2016 published in December 2016, any new service wishing to become established as an Early Years Service must first be placed on the Tusla Early Years Statutory Register.

At this time, there are no regulations under this act for school aged children’s services. However, if the service in question wishes to provide childcare places to pre-school aged children they are required to be registered with Tusla as all pre-school aged services are subject to Tusla inspection in line with the above regulations.

Also, as the service in question is seeking to provide childcare places under the Community Childcare Subvention Plus Scheme (CCSP), there is a requirement for the service to be registered with Tusla as stated in The Rules for DCYA Funding Programmes 2017, clause 3.2.13:

‘CCS Plus providers must be registered with Tusla for the places being provided’.

A service can become registered by making an application to Tusla Early Years Inspectorate using the Registration Application Form (RAF), which can be obtained from Tusla Early Years Inspectorate’s Registrations Office. The service can contact their local Community Childcare Committee for support with the registration process.