Thursday, 6 December 2018

Ceisteanna (123)

Thomas P. Broughan


123. Deputy Thomas P. Broughan asked the Minister for Justice and Equality the steps he is taking to address issues in relation to visas for Irish persons with a partner from a non-European Economic Area in cases in which the partner is not eligible to work due to visa requirements; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [51234/18]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Justice)

I am assuming that the Deputy is referring to non-EEA nationals who have applied to come to Ireland or remain here by virtue of being a spouse or partner of an Irish national and not by any other basis.

I am advised by the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS) of my Department that immediate family members of Irish citizens who apply and are granted immigration status by INIS through the family reunification process have the right to work without employment permits and to establish or manage/operate a business in the State. They should receive a "stamp 4" immigration permission.

Further details of the relevant Domestic Residence Schemes can be found on the INIS website under the heading of ‘Family, spouses & partners’ at:

If the Deputy has any other category of person in mind or has a specific case in mind I would be happy to respond with relevant details.