Thursday, 6 December 2018

Ceisteanna (263)

Bernard Durkan


263. Deputy Bernard J. Durkan asked the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection the way in which entitlement to unpaid wages can be addressed in the case of a person (details supplied); if restitution will be made; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [51338/18]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Employment)

Ireland has a comprehensive suite of employment rights legislation. We have a well-resourced labour inspectorate, which forms part of the Workplace Relations Commission (WRC). In addition, where an individual believes they are being deprived of employment rights applicable to employees, they may refer a complaint to the WRC where the matter can be dealt with by way of mediation or adjudication leading to a decision enforceable through the District Court.

The Payment of Wages Act 1991 establishes a range of rights for all employees in relation to payment of wages, one of which is protection against unlawful deductions from wages.

The Payment of Wages Act provides that, where an employee considers that there may have been a contravention of the Act, the employee may submit a complaint to the Workplace Relations Commission (WRC) within 6 months of the date of the alleged contravention. The Workplace Relations Customer Service Section of the WRC provides information on employees' rights and how to obtain redress if an employee considers that their employment rights may have been infringed. They can be contacted at Lo-call: 1890 80 80 90 or via its website The Single Complaint Form for submitting complaints regarding breaches of employment rights is also available at An explanatory booklet on the Payment of Wages Act is also available on that website.