Thursday, 24 January 2019

Ceisteanna (267)

Michael Healy-Rae


267. Deputy Michael Healy-Rae asked the Minister for Children and Youth Affairs the financial support which can be provided to a person (details supplied); and if she will make a statement on the matter. [3510/19]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Children)

I must inform the Deputy that it would not be appropriate for me to comment on an individual case. However, I have written to Tusla, the Child and Family Agency and asked them to make direct contact with the individual concerned. Tusla have confirmed that the matter has been brought to the attention of the local area.

Where a child is being cared for by a family member, but is not in State care, the family member may apply  to the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection for a Guardian’s Payment in respect of the child. The purpose of the Guardian’s Payment Scheme is to provide income support in respect of those children. This is a private law matter and these children are not in the care of the State.

The payment is administered by the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection. Payment is made directly to the ‘guardian’ on behalf of the child. A guardian may be appointed by the courts; if there is no legally appointed guardian, the person with whom the child lives and who is responsible for their care may get the payment as long as the person uses the payment for the benefit of the child.