Thursday, 31 January 2019

Ceisteanna (204)

Dessie Ellis


204. Deputy Dessie Ellis asked the Minister for Communications, Climate Action and Environment if an application for the insulation of a house under the SEAI warmer homes scheme by a person (details supplied) will be considered; if the application will be expedited; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [4714/19]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Communications)

The Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI) operates the Warmer Homes Scheme on behalf of my Department. Individual applications to the Warmer Homes Scheme are an operational matter for SEAI and as the Minister I have no role in such matters.

However, to be of assistance to the Deputy, officials in my Department have been in contact with the SEAI and they have advised me that at present there is no application for the address provided.

The Warmer Homes Scheme provides a range of energy efficiency measures free of charge to low income households vulnerable to energy poverty, who meet the eligibility criteria. In addition homes must be owned by the applicant and must be built before 2006. The upgrade measures to a home under the scheme depend on a technical survey carried out by SEAI on the home. This survey will recommend which measures are appropriate for the home. The scheme is not available to local authority tenants, as those properties are covered by the Social Housing Investment Programme.

The waiting time for applicants is determined by the demand for the scheme and also by the upgrade measures recommended by the SEAI survey of the home.

There is also another scheme run by the Department of Housing which may be of assistance. The Housing Aid for Older People scheme can provide upgrades such as dry lining and the repair and replacement of windows and doors to people who are aged over 66 and are living in poor housing conditions. Applications for this scheme are assessed on the basis of financial and medical need. The Housing Section of Dublin City Council at can provide further information on this scheme.