Tuesday, 19 February 2019

Ceisteanna (426)

Brendan Griffin


426. Deputy Brendan Griffin asked the Minister for Health the position regarding treatment in the case of a person (details supplied); and if he will make a statement on the matter. [8284/19]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Health)

The HSE operates the EU Cross Border Directive (CBD) in Ireland. Patients in Ireland can seek to be referred to another EU/EEA member state for medical treatment that is available in the public health service in Ireland. The patient may access the overseas service in either the public or private health sector of the EU/EEA member state they choose to receive the service in. The patient pays for the treatment and claims reimbursement from the HSE at the cost of that treatment in Ireland or the cost of it abroad, whichever is the lesser.

The HSE through the National Contact Point (NCP) provides information for patients on its website and can be contacted to discuss the possibility of making an application for reimbursement under the CBD by post at HSE National Contact Point, St Canices, Laken, Dublin Road, Kilkenny, R95 P231 or by phone 056 7784551.