Thursday, 7 March 2019

Ceisteanna (97)

John Brassil


97. Deputy John Brassil asked the Minister for Education and Skills his views on the way in which special schools can transition students to adult day services during their final year as per the guidelines of his Department in view of the shortfall in service provision; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [11354/19]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Education)

Special Schools funded by my Department are intended to cater for children and young persons with complex special educational needs from the age of 4 years until the end of the school year in which they reach their 18th year.

Special school staff typically have extensive engagement with parents, HSE multi-disciplinary teams and the National Council for Special Education (NCSE) which involves planning for the child’s future, including options for further education, training, employment or other placement options subject to the child’s abilities, including the young person’s transition to adult services when they reach the age of 18 years. 

Some people with a disability, over the age of 18, and who have complex needs, may require specialised support throughout their lives.  Ongoing care and support services within the community, in a post school setting, are provided by voluntary or statutory organisations; responsibility for such care and support rests with the HSE. 

It is important to note that students who transfer to adult service settings can continue to participate in educational programmes through further adult educational programmes or in adult settings which are allocated resources towards educational provision.

The provision of Health Services, including the provision of respite and residential services, is a matter for the Department of Health and the Health Service Executive.  The Deputy should address this question directly to my colleague, the Minister for Health, in relation to the availability of adult day service places.