Tuesday, 12 March 2019

Ceisteanna (691)

Brendan Griffin


691. Deputy Brendan Griffin asked the Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government his views on a matter (details supplied) regarding the provision of funding in County Kerry; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [11467/19]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Housing)

Since 1 January 2014, Irish Water has statutory responsibility for all aspects of public water services planning, delivery and operation at national, regional and local levels. Connection applications are therefore a matter for Irish Water.

Irish Water has established a dedicated team to deal with representations and queries from public representatives. The team can be contacted via email to oireachtasmembers@water.ie or by telephone on a dedicated number, 1890 578 578.

Alternatively, the Rural Water Programme may be of relevance in relation to the matter referred to by the Deputy. On 8 February 2019, I announced a new investment programme for the period 2019- 2021 for the provision of water services in rural areas. The Programme consists of eight funding measures. Local authorities have been invited to submit their proposals for the funding of schemes or projects in their functional areas.

The funding measures under the Programme include Measure 6 - Community Connections (Water and Wastewater). This measure facilitates the continued expansion of the coverage of piped water supplies and central wastewater collection systems by extension off the public (Irish Water) network. The deadline for receipt of proposals to my Department is 14 March 2019.

The Programme also includes a measure (Measure 8) targeted at Domestic Wastewater Treatment Systems (septic tanks), which allows householders obtain funding support for their improvement. The terms and conditions of the revised funding scheme under this measure are currently being finalised by my Department and details will be issued to local authorities shortly.

Both Measure 6 and 8 may be of interest to the community at the location indicated by the Deputy in which case it is a matter for them to consider applying through the local authority for funding.