The OPW is in the process of developing a Masterplan for the Custom House in association with Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government that is wide ranging and comprehensive and will include the following issues among others:
- Wider Role of the Custom House within Dublin City.
- The existing operational Visitor Centre will be enhanced as part of this process.
- Additional office accommodation.
- Conservation: a number of areas in the Custom House require considerable conservation work. These can best be addressed as part of an overall plan for the building.
- There is a requirement to modernise security and fire safety systems in the building.
- There are a number of modernisation projects required for the building in terms of ICT facilities, disability access and energy efficiency.
- The more efficient use of space would also facilitate a modern and an effective working environment.