Wednesday, 10 April 2019

Ceisteanna (172)

David Cullinane


172. Deputy David Cullinane asked the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport if a holder of a British driver licence can retain C1E and D1 and D1E categories when the holder transfers over to an Irish driver licence; the procedure by which this is done; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [16867/19]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Transport)

A UK driving licence can be exchanged for an Irish licence while the UK continues to be a Member State. 

Under EU law, an application for a truck or bus licence (categories C's and D's) must be accompanied by a completed medical report. If a person with the relevant truck or bus category on their UK licence attends at a National Driver Licence Service (NDLS) Centre without the relevant medical report, they will be given the option to sign a form stating that they do not wish the categories to be exchanged. The applicant can request the categories be re-instated on their Irish licence by presenting a medical report.

Some UK categories known as ‘National Categories’ [similar to our W Tractor] only apply in the UK and they are not exchangeable. For example, in the UK if a person passed their test for category B (car) before 1 January 1997, their licence would show entitlement to C1 and C1E (trucks) and D1 and D1E (bus) categories. These categories are given with restrictions identified by codes.

The C1E category with a restriction code 107 on it entitles the driver to drive a C1E vehicle provided the combined weight of the trailer and the towing vehicle does not exceed 8.25 tonnes/kg. In Ireland the combined weight of the C1E is 12 tonne/kg. Therefore we do not have an equivalent to exchange this category for. The D1 and D1E categories with a restriction code like 101 or 119 only allow the driver to drive a vehicle if it is not for hire or reward. We do not have the corresponding category so cannot exchange it.