Tuesday, 25 June 2019

Ceisteanna (771)

Catherine Connolly


771. Deputy Catherine Connolly asked the Minister for Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht the bodies in the State that have statutory authority to function as the competent authority to make determinations under appropriate assessment legislation for terrestrial and marine environments. [26425/19]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Culture)

When a public authority receives an application for consent for a plan or project, or proposes to undertake or adopt a plan or project, it has a duty under the European Communities (Birds and Natural Habitats) Regulations 2011, to undertake a screening for appropriate assessment and, if necessary, an appropriate assessment. The 2011 Regulations define public authority as follows:

' “public authority” means—

(a) a Minister of Government,

(b) a local authority,

(c) An Bord Pleanála,

(d) Environmental Protection Agency,

(e) the Commissioners of Public Works in Ireland,

(f) a harbour authority or a harbour company within the meaning of the Harbours Acts 1946 to 2009,

(g) Fáilte Ireland,

(h) Health Service Executive,

(i) a regional authority,

(j) Inland Fisheries Ireland,

(k) Geological Survey of Ireland,

(l) Teagasc,

(m) National Roads Authority,

(n) Radiological Protection Institute of Ireland,

(o) Electricity Supply Board,

(p) Commission for Energy Regulation,

(q) Port and Harbour Authorities including Port companies established under the Harbours Act 1996,

(r) Dublin Docklands Development Authority,

(s) Waterways Ireland,

(t) Bord Na Móna,

(u) Coillte,

(v) Health and Safety Authority,

(w) Bord Gáis,

(x) Marine Institute,

(y) Bord Iascaigh Mhara,

(z) Eirgrid,

(aa) a Board or other Body (but not including a company under the Companies Acts) established by or under statute,

(bb) a company under the Companies Acts, in which all the shares are held—

(i) by or on behalf of or jointly with a Minister of Government,

(ii) by directors appointed by a Minister of Government, or

(iii) by a board, company or other body referred to in paragraph (f) or subparagraph (bb)(i) or (bb)(ii),

(cc) a planning authority.'