The launch of the National Strategy for Angling Development, along with the ongoing funding available through the Salmon and Sea Trout Conservation Fund and Midland Fisheries Fund and significant ongoing interest in ensuring fisheries habitats are conserved and angling opportunities sustainably developed, has led to increased need to ensure appropriately qualified and experienced professionals are available to undertake increasing levels of work in line with legislative requirements.
Using a Multi Supplier Framework Agreement, Inland Fisheries Ireland (IFI) has set up a panel of suitably qualified providers that are available to undertake work across three areas outlined below. This panel has already been reviewed by IFI and is available for use by both IFI as well as stakeholders developing their own fisheries projects, as follows:
Panel 1 Environmental Experts
- Developing catchment based restoration plans based on environmental need.
- Undertaking associated screenings/scoping for environmental impact assessments, screenings/scoping for appropriate assessments/Natura impact assessments, appropriate assessments/ Natura impact statements and environmental impact statements.
- Undertaking reports and surveys including but not limited to topographical surveys, hydrological reports, geomorphological surveys, architectural heritage reports, archaeological reports etc. as required for each project.
Panel 2 Environmental Engineering Specialists
- Developing proposals and securing planning permission for fisheries development projects, including both instream habitat enhancement and angling access works.
- Developing, assessing and recommending design works options based on cost, maintenance, disturbance and other structural and ecological implications.
- Attending relevant public meetings to discuss and present development options to the general public, councils and interested parties as required.
- Overseeing and Monitoring projects during the works stage.
- Project Supervisor for the Design Process Role to the satisfaction of Inland Fisheries Ireland.
- Procure services of third party contractors as required on behalf of Inland Fisheries Ireland.
Panel 3 Construction Contractors, with instream and fisheries experience
- Delivering Construction Drawings for fisheries projects.
- QS breakdown of costs associated with development.
- Construction works for fisheries projects, both in stream and on the bank/shore.
- Sign Off on the completion of projects.
IFI does not restrict the use of experts by stakeholders to those within the Consultant Panel. However, non-panel members must have appropriate professional indemnity insurance. All outputs from the various panels or non-panel members are reviewed by IFI and/or an independent expert.
Should the Deputy have any further specific concerns, I would be happy to ask IFI to contact him.