Tuesday, 9 July 2019

Ceisteanna (751)

Joan Collins


751. Deputy Joan Collins asked the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection the status of the 70 plus PPS numbers provided by an organisation (details supplied) in relation to an issue that has been raised of workers being blacklisted. [29185/19]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Employment)

Scope Section of my Department undertakes investigations on foot of requests from a variety of sources, for example employees, employers or Social Welfare Inspectors.  These investigations cover a variety of situations, for example, modified classes of PRSI for civil and public servants, family employments or insurability of Directors.

As a number of applications have been made to Scope Section for determinations in relation to the employment status of workers / former workers in the TV / film industry, it would not be appropriate for me to comment on the likely outcome of these cases.  Files have been allocated to Social Welfare Inspectors to commence preliminary investigations.

If anyone has a query about their insurability for PRSI purposes, they should contact Scope with details.  I encourage other workers with concerns to contact Scope with details of their cases (dates of employment, employer’s name, PPSN etc).  Scope’s contact details are:

Scope Section

Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection

Gandon House

Amiens Street

Dublin 1

Email: Scope@welfare.ie

Phone: 01 6732585

Where an individual believes they are being deprived of employment rights applicable to employees they may refer a complaint to the Workplace Relations Commission (WRC) where the matter can be dealt with by way of mediation or adjudication leading to a decision that is enforceable through the District Court.  Complaints can be made on a single online complaint form available at the WRC’s website www.workplacerelations.ie or on lo-call 1890 80 80 90.

The Workplace Relations Commission and the Labour Court, which operate under the aegis of the Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation, also hear cases involving industrial relations disputes.  Industrial Relations policy matters fall under the responsibility of the Minister for Business, Enterprise and Innovation.

I hope this clarifies the matter for the Deputy.