Wednesday, 13 November 2019

Ceisteanna (135)

Niamh Smyth


135. Deputy Niamh Smyth asked the Minister for Justice and Equality if a person (details supplied) can extend their stamp 1G visa or obtain a working permit visa; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [46775/19]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Justice)

I can inform the Deputy that a Stamp 1G permission is intended to allow a non-EEA graduate to seek employment in Ireland following their graduation. This should be for the purpose of seeking graduate level employment and applying for a general employment permit, a critical skills employment permit or research hosting agreement. The details of the revised programme are set out in the policy document on the Third Level Graduate Programme which can be accessed on the website of my Department's Immigration Service -

The person referred to may make an application for a further Stamp 1G permission provided they have not exceeded the maximum of allowable period of student permission overall. Graduates with an award at Level 8 on the National Framework of Qualifications may be granted a twelve month permission to a maximum of seven years student permission overall. Time spent on a Stamp 2 permission as a student and Stamp 1G under this programme cannot exceed an aggregate time of seven years in total.

Graduates with an award at Level 9 or above on the National Framework of Qualifications qualify for the Programme may be granted permission for twenty-four months to a maximum of eight years student permission overall, time spent on Stamp 2 as a student and on Stamp 1G under this programme cannot exceed an aggregate time of eight years in total.

The issuing of work permits is a matter for the Work Permits Division of the Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation. Information relating to Work Permits can be found on or by contacting the Work Permits Section of the Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation.  The contact numbers are 01-4175333 or Lo-call: 1890 201 616.

Queries in relation to the status of individual immigration cases may be made directly to my Department using the Oireachtas Mail facility which has been specifically established for this purpose. This service enables up to date information on such cases to be obtained without the need to seek information by way of the Parliamentary Questions process. The Deputy may consider using the e-mail service except in cases where the response is, in the Deputy's view, inadequate or too long awaited.