Thursday, 14 November 2019

Ceisteanna (112)

Bernard Durkan


112. Deputy Bernard J. Durkan asked the Minister for Business, Enterprise and Innovation if consideration will be given to an application for a work permit in the case of a person (details supplied); and if she will make a statement on the matter. [47024/19]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Business)

The Employment Permits Section of my Department informs me that on 1 August 2019, the named employer applied for a Contract for Services Employment Permit in respect of the non-EEA national (details supplied).

On 23 October 2019, this application was refused as it did not meet the qualification criteria for a Contract for Services Employment Permit. My officials inform me that it would appear that the employer applied for the wrong permit type. 

The occupation being applied for, that of a welder, is eligible for a General Employment Permit.  A refusal to grant an employment permit does not preclude an applicant from submitting another application for an employment permit.  Such an application should comply with all of the legislative requirements for the particular employment permit type.  I have asked my officials to contact the applicant to inform them that the occupation would be eligible for a General Employment Permit and to provide information to assist with any new application.

My officials inform me that no application for an employment permit has been submitted in respect of the named individual's spouse.  If such an application is submitted, it will be considered subject to the application fulfilling all relevant criteria.

In order to assist with the application process, the Department has produced a suite of information including various checklist documents (which if followed should lead to the grant of an employment permit), a ‘User Guide' to our online application system and a comprehensive FAQ Document, which answers the most common queries received regarding employment permits.  All this information can be found in the Employment Permits section of my Department’s website at