Wednesday, 27 November 2019

Ceisteanna (298)

Willie Penrose


298. Deputy Willie Penrose asked the Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government if there is grant aid available for persons wishing to construct a granny flat at their residence which would enable a young couple to reside in the existing dwelling house and the elderly parents to reside in a new granny flat (details supplied); and if he will make a statement on the matter. [49443/19]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Housing)

There is no grant aid available from my Department for the provision of granny flats. 

My Department does provide funding to local authorities in respect of the Housing Adaptation Grants for Older People and People with a Disability, to assist eligible people in private houses to make their accommodation more suitable for their needs.  The suite of grants includes the Housing Adaptation Grant for People with a Disability, the Mobility Aids Grant and the Housing Aid for Older People, which are 80% funded by the Department, with a 20% contribution from the resources of the local authority.  The scheme is more sharply focused towards lower income households with the greatest needs.  A means test applies to the scheme in order to achieve fairness and value for money in its operation.

The detailed administration of the grants, including the assessment, approval and prioritisation of applications, is the responsibility of the local authorities.