Tuesday, 17 December 2019

Ceisteanna (618)

Ruth Coppinger


618. Deputy Ruth Coppinger asked the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport if the requirement will be examined for separated persons to have a separation agreement in cases in which they wish to have their name changed to their pre-marriage name on their driver licence as in the case of a person (details supplied); and if he will make a statement on the matter. [53324/19]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Transport)

When an applicant has obtained a driving licence having presented some level of ID evidence of their married name, and then wishes get a licence in a different name, the National Driver Licence Service (NDLS) needs to link the licence given in the married name to the maiden name. There is an onus on the NDLS to make this  link before a renewal can be issued.

The applicant can submit evidence of divorce/separation or dissolution of civil partnership or evidence of initiation of same, i.e., a letter from the customer’s solicitor confirming that a separation has been sought or referring to a separation.  Evidence of previous name is also required by way of a birth or marriage/civil partnership certificate which serves to verify the applicant’s previous name which they are now resuming the use of. A primary ID document in their previous surname (e.g., a passport or Public Service Card) is also acceptable.