Tuesday, 17 December 2019

Ceisteanna (669)

Shane Cassells


669. Deputy Shane Cassells asked the Minister for Rural and Community Development the role local authorities should play in tackling the issue of excessive dog barking; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [52742/19]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Rural)

Under section 25 of the Control of Dogs Act 1986, the District Court may act on a complaint where a nuisance has been created by excessive dog barking.  A copy of the relevant complaint form is available from local authorities.

While complaints in relation to barking dogs are largely dealt with under the provisions of the Control of Dogs Acts, generally, a person experiencing noise nuisance may contact their local authority, which may initiate proceedings under the Environmental Protection Agency Act 1992.  This Act also provides for any person, or group of persons, to seek an order in the District Court to have noise giving reasonable cause for annoyance abated.

Details outlining the legal avenues available to persons experiencing noise nuisance are available on the Department of Communications, Climate Action and Environment website: Please find link here.

Addressing the issue of barking dogs in a tenancy agreement would also be a matter for the relevant local authority.