Thursday, 10 September 2020

Ceisteanna (141)

Bernard Durkan


141. Deputy Bernard J. Durkan asked the Minister for Social Protection the extent to which a further education course remains available in the case of a person (details supplied); and if she will make a statement on the matter. [23232/20]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Social)

In advance of commencing a course of education, a person in receipt of Covid-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment (PUP) will be required to establish an entitlement to a qualifying social welfare weekly payment, generally a Jobseeker’s payment, to access Back to Education Allowance (BTEA). A person will then be required to transfer from their PUP to the relevant qualifying social welfare scheme to continue to receive income support while availing of full-time education provision. The qualification period will be deemed to have been met for a person transferring from a PUP. This means a person applying for 2nd or 3rd level will be deemed to have satisfied the required qualification period when they transfer from a PUP.

Other BTEA eligibility conditions apply, including the age of the applicant. The BTEA is only available to those commencing the first year of a new course.

It is open to the person concerned to submit an application for both a Jobseeker’s Benefit/Allowance and BTEA to the Ballyfermot Intreo Centre. The necessary forms can be accessed on and sent to the Intreo Centre, Rossmore Avenue, Dublin 10.

Once a decision has been made, the person concerned will be informed directly of the outcome and advised how to proceed.

I trust this clarifies matters for the Deputy.