Railway accident investigators provide a key service in supporting passenger safety. The projected costs requested are set out below based on the following assumptions:
1. Start date of 1st August 2021
2. Starting at the first point of the PPC pay scale
3. The allowance payable to the post is an on-call allowance on same basis as current serving staff members in the grade
4. The basic salary and on-call allowance will benefit from a 1% rise on 1st October 2021 in accordance with the provisions of Building Momentum – a new public service agreement, 2021-2022
5. The equivalent of a 1% increase in annualised basic salaries to be used as a Sectoral Bargaining Fund, in accordance with Chapter 2 of the Agreement, on 1 February 2022 has yet to be determined and has not been factored into these calculations.
The estimated full year cost to the Department of recruiting three full time Senior Railway Accident Investigators is €256,941.