20 DFómh 2021, 16.10
The Joint Committee on the Implementation of the Good Friday Agreement will engage with the Core Working Group for the proposed All-Island Cancer Research Institute (AICRI) at a meeting tomorrow, Thursday, 21 October in Leinster House, Committee Room 1 at 1:30 pm.
The Committee will hear from:
- Prof. William M. Gallagher, Full Professor of Cancer Biology, UCD
- Prof. Mark Lawler, Professor of Digital Health and Chair in Translational Cancer Genomics Queen's University Belfast
- Prof. Maeve Lowery, Professor of Translational Cancer Medicine, Trinity College Dublin
- Mr Ciaran Briscoe, CEO, Northeast Cancer Research & Education Trust
- Ms Eibhlín Mulroe, CEO, Cancer Trials Ireland
AICRI will bring together the combined strengths of cancer researchers on this island to tackle cancer, linking with US and other international colleagues. Their mission will provide an overarching framework for cancer research across the island of Ireland, from discovery to implementation, for the benefit of cancer patients and wider society.
Speaking before the meeting, Committee Cathaoirleach Fergus O'Dowd TD said: “One of the aims of the AICRI is to make a difference and significantly relieve suffering in a disease that will affect one in every two citizens on this island.”
The Cathaoirleach added: “The Committee looks forward to meeting with the representatives and discussing their work, the wider topic of all-island cancer research and the possible implications of their research for cancer patients North and South.”
You can view the meeting in Committee Room 1 on the Oireachtas website.
More information can be found on the dedicated Committee Webpage. Committee proceedings can also be viewed on the Houses of the Oireachtas Smartphone App, available for Apple and Android devices.