asked the Minister for Lands if he will make a statement on the data collected by the fisheries research vessel since it went into commission.
Ceisteanna—Questions. Oral Answers. - Fisheries Research Vessel: Data Collected.
A considerable amount of data has been collected by the exploratory fishing vessel, Cú Feasa, while engaged on
(1) research into and exploratory fishing, including mesh selection experiments, for Dublin Bay prawns on the east, south and west coasts;
(2) whiting research, including size-distribution and other characteristics and mesh selection experiments in the same areas;
(3) investigation of location of herring spawning grounds off the south-east and south coasts;
(4) exploratory fishing for herrings off the south-east, south and west coasts;
(5) sounding surveys and experimental trawling off the west coast;
(6) temperature and salinity recording in various areas.
Much of this work is of a long-term nature and further investigations will be necessary before firm conclusions can be drawn. Any helpful information is, of course, conveyed to fishermen as soon as it becomes available. For instance, when the vessel is searching for herring shoals, the results are immediately conveyed to Irish boats in the area; in this way she was instrumental in opening this year's Achill herring fishing season. She is now about to assist in searching for herring shoals off Dunmore East.