Written Answers. - Bookmakers' Licence.

Noel Ahern


82 Mr. N. Ahern asked the Minister for Justice, with reference to Parliamentary Question No. 48 of 30 June 1994, in relation to getting a licence for a bookmakers office, in view of the fact that it is necessary for the Garda to give a certificate of fitness to the licence holder and a declaration of suitability of premises, if the information requested by Deputy Noel Ahern is available from her Department; and, the way in which a punter can ascertain the name of licenceholders should one wish to object. [2410/94]

I understand that the Deputy is seeking information as to the names of the person or persons who were the registered proprietors of a particular bookmakers premises in 1988 and 1989. As I informed the Deputy in reply to his question of 30 June 1994, my Department does not maintain records of the ownership of bookmakers premises. The Garda Síochána do have a function under the Betting Act in issuing certificates of personal fitness in respect of persons seeking a bookmakers licence and certificates of suitability of premises where a licence is sought in relation to a particular premises. However, the licences are issued by the Revenue Commissioners and the Garda would not have records of whether a licence was, in fact, issued in a particular case or, if issued, its date or period of duration. Only the Revenue Commissioners would have such details.

In the case of a person wishing to ascertain who is the currently registered proprietor of a particular bookmakers premises, the Act requires that the certificate of registration issued by the Revenue Commissioners to the proprietor must be displayed prominently in the premises.