Written Answers. - Grant Payments.

John McGuinness


689 Mr. McGuinness asked the Minister for the Environment and Local Government if he will offer a special grant to the parents of two persons, who suffer from Usher syndrome, to accommodate them close to their home where family assistance can be given and independent living for both can be achieved; and if he will carry out a special investigation into the case in order that the assistance required can be expedited. [19933/00]

The only grant available from my Department which may be relevant in these circumstances is the new house grant of £3,000 which may be paid for the provision of a new dwelling specifically to meet the needs of a disabled or handicapped member of a household, notwithstanding non-compliance with certain conditions that normally apply to the payment of that grant.

Under the disabled person's grant scheme, which is administered by local authorities, assistance is provided to adapt, extend or provide additional facilities for the purpose of rendering a house more suitable for the accommodation of a disabled member of the household. Further details may be obtained from the local authority.