Written Answers. - Pension Provisions.

Bernard Allen


249 Mr. Allen asked the Minister for Social and Family Affairs if individuals receiving rental income from a rented property may make PRSI payments on their income in order to gain eligibility for an old age pension. [21975/02]

Any person whose sole income is derived from rented property is insurable as a self-employed contributor and is liable to pay class S contributions, provided his or her total income exceeds €3,174 per annum. The rate of contribution payable is 3% of all income or €253 per annum, whichever is greater, in addition to the health contribution where applicable.

In all cases, PRSI contributions are collected by the Revenue Commissioners through the self-assessment system.

Self-employed contributors are covered for certain social insurance benefits and pensions, including old age contributory pension, subject to satisfying the qualifying conditions of the individual schemes.