Written Answers. - Residential Institutions Redress Board.

John Cregan


148 Mr. Cregan asked the Minister for Education and Science if a person (details supplied) is on file in relation to their claim under the residential institutions unit; if information in relation to this person to allow them apply has been made available to them; and the position regarding this person's application. [19270/03]

The Residential Institutions Redress Board is an independent body established under the terms of the Residential Institutions Redress Act 2002. The board has stated on its website, www.rirb.ie, that it has received a total of 1,334 applications and has reached settlements in 47 cases. The residential institutions redress unit of my Department holds records for children who were sent to a residential institution on foot of a court order. If an applicant or solicitor states in a freedom of information request to the Department that he or she is seeking evidence of residence to support a claim to the redress board, the freedom of information section will give the matter priority and will provide a report by school number and pupil number within about two weeks. This report will normally suffice as proof of residence for the redress board. Should the person referred to by the Deputy wish to pursue the matter further, he should consult with his legal representatives or approach the redress board directly.