That Seanad Éireann:
- thank the United States National Parks Service and the United States Department of the Interior for ensuring a replica of the 1916 Proclamation presented by the President of Ireland on behalf of the Irish people, at home and abroad, will be placed in the Washington Monument on the Mall, Washington DC in the United States of America
- recognising that this year marks the 100th anniversary of the 1916 Easter Rising and also the 100th anniversary of the United States National Park Service;
- recognising that Ireland is just one of 17 foreign countries to be given this particular honour and distinction;
- acknowledging that there have only been five plaques placed in the monument in the last 75 years and that this will be the 194th plaque in the monument, the others being from each state of the Union and organisations which helped in the building of the monument to General George Washington;
- and further thank the Secretary of State at the United States Department of the Interior, Ms. Sally Jewell; the Director of the United States National Parks Service, Mr. Jonathan B. Jarvis; the Chief of Staff, Ms Maureen Foster; the Deputy Chief of Staff, Ms Nikki Buffa; and the National Mall Director of the United States National Parks Service, Ms Alexa Viets, for their assistance.
I thank the Leader and the Cathaoirleach for their assistance.