Tuesday, 27 January 2004

Questions (290)

Finian McGrath


393 Mr. F. McGrath asked the Minister for Education and Science if he will work closely with the parents and school of a pupil (details supplied) to ensure that he gets a place in September 2004. [1141/04]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Minister for Education and Science)

An official from my Department has been in contact with the parents of the child referred to by the Deputy and has advised them on their rights under section 29 of the Education Act 1998 to appeal a refusal to enrol.

Section 29 of the Education Act 1998 provides for an appeal by a parent or guardian to the Secretary General of my Department where a board of management of a school or a person acting on behalf of the board refuses to enrol a student in the school. The Education (Welfare) Act 2000 established the National Educational Welfare Board as the single national agency with responsibility for school attendance. The principal function of the board is to ensure that every child in the State attends a recognised school or otherwise receives an appropriate minimum education. The parents of the child in question have been advised to contact the board to obtain its advice and assistance in securing a place for their child.