The project in question has been allocated a total of €95,711 in funding under the national-lottery funded sports capital programme, which is administered by my Department, through the following allocations: €45,711 in 2000; €30,000 in 2002; and €20,000 in 2003.
To date, 95% of the 2000 grant has been paid, the remaining 5% being retained in accordance with standard practice pending the receipt of certification of completion of the defects liability period of the project. None of the funding provisionally allocated to the project under the 2002 and 2003 programmes has yet been drawn down.
All grants allocated are subject to the terms and conditions of the programme, one of which is a requirement to execute a deed of covenant and charge where a grant or an accumulation of grants exceeds €80,000, which they do in this case. The deed of covenant and charge provides,inter alia, for a refund of grants in the event of the facility not continuing to be used for the purpose for which the grant was allocated. It is invoked by my Department’s legal advisers, the Chief State Solicitor’s office, CSSO. Payment of the grants due can only proceed when the deed of covenant and charge is in place. I understand that progress is being made by the club with the CSSO in this matter.
An application has also been submitted for the project under the 2004 sports capital programme. All applications under the programme are currently being evaluated against the programme's assessment criteria, which are outlined in the guidelines, terms and conditions of the programme. I intend to announce the grant allocations for the programme as soon as possible after the assessment process has been completed.