Tuesday, 19 October 2004

Questions (334)

Michael Ring


473 Mr. Ring asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the way in which a person can obtain a photographic identification if they do not have or wish to have a driving licence or a passport; and his plans to introduce a non-compulsory national identity card. [25311/04]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform)

I assume the Deputy is referring to provisions in the Intoxicating Liquor Acts. The Intoxicating Liquor Act 1988 (Age Card) Regulations 1999 provide for a voluntary, national age-card scheme. Age cards can be obtained by persons who have attained 18 years of age to confirm that they have attained the legal age for the purchase of intoxicating liquor. The 1999 regulations set out detailed provisions on the application and authentication procedure as well as procedures for the preparation and issue of age cards. Such cards are not national identity cards and, at the moment, I have no plans to introduce such a card.