Skip to main content
Normal View

Special Educational Needs

Dáil Éireann Debate, Tuesday - 31 May 2011

Tuesday, 31 May 2011

Questions (112)

Michael McGrath


135 Deputy Michael McGrath asked the Minister for Education and Skills if he will review the decision not to make an item of equipment available to a person (details supplied) in County Cork. [13400/11]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Minister for Education and Skills)

As the Deputy will be aware, the National Council for Special Education (NCSE) is responsible, through its network of local Special Educational Needs Organisers (SENOs) for allocating Resource Teachers and Special Needs Assistants to schools to support children with special educational needs. SENOs also make recommendations to my Department where assistive technology is required. The NCSE operates within my Department's criteria in allocating such support. The NCSE has advised my Department that the pupil in question does not meet my Department's criteria for the allocation of a laptop.

All schools have the names and contact details of their local SENO. Parents may also contact the SENO directly to discuss their child's special educational needs, using the contact details available on It is open to the school and/or parents to contact the SENO in the context of supports that may be available to support the pupil in question.