Thursday, 5 July 2012

Questions (62)

Finian McGrath


55 Deputy Finian McGrath asked the Minister for Finance if he will support the case of a person (details supplied); and if there is a scheme to help this person. [32863/12]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Minister for Finance)

As the Deputy is aware, I do not comment on specific cases. However, I would advise that if an individual has made a formal complaint to the bank in question about the matter referred to and if they are not satisfied with the reply then I suggest that they contact the Financial Services Ombudsman in relation to this matter. The Financial Services Ombudsman is an independent office established to deal with consumer complaints about their dealings with financial institutions. The Financial Services Ombudsman can be contacted at:

3rd Floor, Lincoln House,

Lincoln Place,

Dublin 2

Lo Call: 1890 88 20 90



On a more general level, the Government is acutely aware of the increasing financial stress that some households are facing arising from difficulty in meeting their mortgage commitments. The Deputy will be aware that the Interdepartmental Report on Mortgage Arrears indicated that the reform of personal insolvency legislation is a central catalyst to the resolution of the mortgage arrears problem. In particular, it indicated that new non-judicial debt settlement arrangements are vital to address the problem. The Government published the Personal Insolvency Bill last week and the Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence has commenced second stage today in the Dáil, with a view to facilitating early passage of the legislation through the Oireachtas in the Autumn session. The legislation provides for a range of options, both non-judicial and through reform of bankruptcy, for insolvent debtors to resolve their personal indebted positions.