Tuesday, 19 February 2013

Questions (313)

Tom Fleming


313. Deputy Tom Fleming asked the Minister for Education and Skills if he will consider introducing a new emergency scheme to assist students who are experiencing exceptional financial hardship and who will be left with no other option but to withdraw from college/university unless they receive urgent assistance; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [8261/13]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Education)

Students in third-level institutions experiencing exceptional financial need can apply for support under the Student Assistance Fund. This Fund assists students, in a sensitive and compassionate manner, who might otherwise, due to their financial circumstances, be unable to continue their third level studies.

Information on the fund is available through the Access Officer in the third level institution attended. The Access Officers themselves will also continue to provide support and advice to students to enable them to continue with their studies.