Tuesday, 26 February 2013

Questions (239)

Charlie McConalogue

Question:

239. Deputy Charlie McConalogue asked the Minister for Education and Skills the cost of redundancy payments to special needs assistants in primary schools for the past five years; if he will provide a numerical breakdown of the number of SNAs made redundant in each of those years; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [9632/13]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Education)

Details on the cost of redundancy payments and the number of SNAs who received a redundancy payment annually for the years 2008-2012 is contained in the attached document. These figures include both full redundancy payments and compensation for loss of hours ('partial redundancies').

It is not possible to give an exact breakdown of the redundancy payments between the Primary and Post Primary levels but, on average, 87% of all redundancy payments are issued to those in Primary schools with the remaining 13% issued to those in Post Primary schools.

The attached figures do not include redundancy payments issued to SNAs in VEC schools. This information would have to be obtained by the Deputy from the individual VECs.

SNA Redundancy Payments

2008

2009

2010

2011

2012

Number of Payments

261

304

419

620

1,252

Amount Paid in Redundancy Payments

€1,806,920

€2,477,805

€2,908,684

€4,926,326

€10,116,505