Wednesday, 27 February 2013

Questions (142)

Frank Feighan


142. Deputy Frank Feighan asked the Minister for Education and Skills if a student on back to school allowance is entitled to apply to Student Universal Support Ireland for grant assistance and is there any other scheme were such a student can apply for assistance with fees. [10650/13]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Education)

Students in receipt of the Back to Education Allowance (BTEA) can apply to have their eligibility assessed under the student grant scheme to the Student Universal Support Ireland before their closing in the relevant academic year in respect of the cost of the student contribution and where applicable tuition fees.

While the closing date for student grant applications for the 2012/13 academic year expired on 31st January 2013, if an individual has had a change of circumstance since that date which is likely to be permanent e.g. parent or spouse was made redundant, they should contact SUSI for advice on how to make an application to have their eligibility for a grant assessed.

In addition to the student grant tax relief at the standard rate of tax may be claimed in respect of tuition fees paid for approved courses at approved colleges of higher education. Further information on this tax relief is available from the Revenue Commissioners on