Tuesday, 5 March 2013

Questions (221)

Seán Kyne

Question:

221. Deputy Seán Kyne asked the Minister for Education and Skills the progress of the replacement scheme for pre-fabs operated by the Department. [11609/13]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Education)

Under my Department's Prefab Replacement Initiative announced in March 2012 over 170 schools have been approved to replace their rented prefab accommodation with permanent. In excess of €42million has been allocated for this initiative of which €19.7 million has been paid to date. Funding is provided in two traunches, 70% when the project goes to construction and the remaining 30% on completion. A total of 104 schools have already gone to construction and 10 of these have been completed. The rental savings achieved by the 10 completed projects are in the region of €118,000.00. These figures will be subject to change as further projects are completed. This funding is being provided to schools to replace rented prefabs that are currently providing mainstream classroom and resource rooms for an estimated 6,000 pupils. In total 286 mainstream classrooms currently in rented prefabs will receive permanent buildings. Resource rooms and other ancillary accommodation will also be replaced as part of this initiative and a rental saving of up to €5m will be achieved when all the projects are completed.