Wednesday, 19 June 2013

Questions (149)

Catherine Murphy

Question:

149. Deputy Catherine Murphy asked the Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government if, in respect of the moneys due to be transferred from the Central Fund to the Local Government Fund under the provisions of the Finance (Local Property Tax) Act 2012, he will confirm the percentage of the sum transferred and that he as Minister will retain discretion over the sums that are pledged to local authorities; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [29534/13]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Environment)

Under the Finance (Local Property Tax) Act 2012, commencing in 2014 , the Minister for Finance will pay into the Local Government Fund an amount equivalent to the Local Property Tax paid into the Central Fund during that year; this revenue will be allocated to local authorities from the Fund.

In 2013 Local Property Tax revenue will accrue to the Exchequer. As such, no Local Property Tax revenue has been transferred to the Local Government Fund to date.

The Government has indicated an intention to move, from 2014, to 80% retention of all Local Property Tax receipts within the local authority area where the Tax is raised. The remaining 20% of the Tax collected nationally will be re-distributed on an equalised basis to local authorities within the context of the annual allocations of General Purpose Grants.